Hot Shop Assistant
YAYA seeks a part-time assistant and technician for our public access glass studio to work alongside our Studio Manager. YAYA is a non-profit organization that seeks to empower creative young people through training in the arts and entrepreneurship, and the Arts Center serves as a hub for creative activities in our neighborhood and across the city. YAYA’s core program is the YAYA Guild, which provides intensive, multi-year after-school arts and professional training for teens. Other programs include after-school and weekend arts workshops for children ages 5-12 and their families; public workshops in schools and at local festivals and events; hosting field trips for students of all ages; public glass demos and open houses at the Arts Center; and fee-based classes in glass, ceramics, and mixed media that help support our free programs.
The glass studio serves several audiences: YAYA Guild Artists (teens), who work in the studio two evenings per week; professional glass artists who rent time in our studio; amateur and beginner artists who take glass and ceramics classes; and YAYA’s broader public audience through demos and other events. The Hot Shop Assistant will interact with all of these audiences and must be comfortable working with artists at all ages and skills levels and passionate about sharing the art of glass.
Hot Shop Assistant Responsibilities
- Perform daily shop maintenance and studio cleaning
- Set up glass studio for renters, log rental time, and monitor renters
- Lead “make your own” events and assist with teaching other classes
- Assist Glass Studio Manager with production of YAYA glass for sale and commissions
- Assist with public demos and special events
- Answer questions about the glass studio, rental policies, and classes by phone, email, and in-person
- Assist with day-to- day studio operations
- Assist with overall Arts Center facility maintenance
- Maintain Google calendar for glass studio
- Work with Outreach & Events Coordinator on materials for glass events and classes
Qualifications and Skills
- At least two years of glass experience
- Familiarity with glass studio equipment and experience with equipment maintenance
- Some teaching experience with beginner glassblowers
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfort working with youth of all ages
- Basic computer skills, including comfort maintaining online calendars and assisting with the creation of printed materials
The Hot Shop Assistant position is 10-15 hours per week at $17.50/hour and must complete a background check. There are opportunities to assist the Glass Studio Manager, James Vella, and other studio renters with their personal work for additional income, and to trade studio time. YAYA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
To apply, please submit resume, two references, and 3-5 images of your work to James Vella at email@example.com.